Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Life in Small Doses


I haven't posted in several days just because I couldn't think of what to write. Life is moving fast and furious, and I am learning to stop and just take it in small doses. School, work, and creeping cruds have overtaken our every day existence, and it may overwhelm us if we don't stop and breathe.

Thing One is sick, very sick. Thank goodness it isn't H1N1, but she had a high fever from Saturday until last night. As prayer went through my church's prayer chain (Thanks, Gran), it broke. She is still dizzy and weak, her head is pounding, and yes, she is just miserable, but in all this, we find smiles. We enjoyed the two days I took off to be with her at home. We enjoyed the movie Ghost Cat with a very young Ellen Page, and we just enjoyed being together on the couch. Life in small doses can bring blessings.

Speaking of blessing, funny how you can find them in the oddest places. How about the Dollar Store? Yep, even there. My gran is not feeling well, and I stopped for some medicine. As I walked out with my package in one hand, and my son's hand in the other, I looked to the hills and saw the brilliance of the gold, orange, and red. I felt the cool air on my cheeks. I saw people hurrying to pick some small items they need for today, and this overwhelming sense of thanksgiving washed over me. I am part of this wheel of life, and I just have a tiny corner of the world to occupy, but I am so blessed to have it. I about the 9Th generation of women to pass over these mountains, and I am thankful to have my stand. I may crave more coffee shops, museums, and sound in general, but today the quiet of the mountains, and the blessings of this small town touched me. The mountains wrap me in comfort and give me peace. Life in small doses is fine by me.

4 comments:

Brian Farley said...

Nice...can't think of much else to say...real nice post...thanks

Julie D said...

Love the new blog layout! I'm here getting caught up on blog reading, finally! Happy Thursday!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Beautifully written - and I totally agree! I hope Thing 1 is feeling better by now.

Unknown said...

This is beautiful and eloquent and like you I am astounded by the beauty of slowing down to the speed of life. Hope everyone is doing well...again, beautiful post!

Perfect Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was a very busy but lovely beginning to our Halloween Festivities.  My husband and I went to a Farmers' Market that was featuring ...