Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent Update

In my previous post, I mentioned I was going to make my own detergent.  Well, Sunday morning I pulled out the ingredients and went to work.  Purchasing the three main ingredients ran about 6.75.   I had to buy Borax, Super Washing Soda, and the old fashioned Fels-Naptha.  Even though I had to buy this, the Flatlander and I figured each Tide Pod is .30 per pod.   Making my own detergent took my cost down to .20 per BATCH.  I didn't take this lightly.  I researched the heck out of it.  I even found videos of people making their own batches.  With their knowledge, I took to my own kitchen.   Melting the Fels-Naptha was actually fun.  The house smelled wonderful and clean, and I loved the homey feeling that went along with it.  We had a bucket on hand, so it was easy for me to mix and store it.  The next morning, it was at a perfect consistency.  I only had to mix it with water in my plastic jug.  Since we have a HE machine, I am using 1/4 cup per wash.

Now, how did it turn out?

So far, so good.  The clothes look great and smell fresh without being perfumey.   In fact, when compared to a load of name brand detergent, I cannot tell the difference.  I think this is something we will continue.

I also am using a white vinegar rinse instead of fabric softener.  The clothes don't smell like vinegar, but they are soft and static free.  No heavy perfume smell and no dyes.  I think this is something I will also continue.



Here is the link I found on Pinterest:   http://parentables.howstuffworks.com/slideshows/nesting/easy-inexpensive-diy-recipes-ten-common-cleaning-products/

No comments:

Perfect Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was a very busy but lovely beginning to our Halloween Festivities.  My husband and I went to a Farmers' Market that was featuring ...