Wednesday, December 30, 2009

10 Things That Happened This Decade


1. I was one of the first crime victims of 2000. Somebody broke into my car and stole my CD player and my copy of Jagged Little Pill. It didn't do them any good since they didn't take the adapter.

2. In 2001, I gave birth to Thing Two. This is the best thing to happen during the past 10 years. He is a crackerjack who loves music and being in the limelight, and everyday with him is a blessing.

3. My grandmother died in 2002.

4. The day after her the funeral my ex-husband and I broke up, over the phone. A house came for the rent on the same day in my mother's neighborhood, and I moved back to my small town. I had previously vowed never to come back. Be careful of famous last words.

5. I suddenly became a single mom with two young children and self-esteem at zero. I was dealing with infidelity and the lack of a job. I swallowed my pride and became a checkout girl at a local grocery store. I had to deal with some negative comments from customers and one person who I was once close, but I took care of the family on that salary. I also had the time of my life. They worked my hours around my children, and the people were great. It may have been one of the best jobs I have ever had.

6. I fine tuned my degree in 2004, and I began to work on my Master's. I began to teach that same year, and I completed grad school in 2006. I thank God for this every day. I am still drowning on some days, but #6 keeps throwing me a lifeline.

7. In 2003, I met a dark eye boy. In 2005, I feel head over heels. Women, who came of age during the Duran Duran era, can still find great love. It isn't the stuff found in vampire novels, but it is still just as great as it was all those years ago. Yeah me!

8. I have moved three times and bought two cars. I have been to five ballet recitals and countless soccer games.

9. I have made some horrible mistakes. No need to throw out everything, but yes, terrible mistakes have been made. Every stupid one them was a learning experiences, but I have a feeling more mistakes will be made during the next 10 years or so.

10. I have realized my own mortality. I have realized even though I speak about independence, I secretly want to find the "one". I have realized I am no longer a sweet, young thing. I have realized I will never have all the answers.


I hope tomorrow you find happiness in the old and anticipation in the new. This has been one rough year, and hopefully 2010 will give us more laughter and more love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a brilliant, wise and honest post, sadly I could also say some of the same things about being married to said ex. :-/

Now what I love is to realize my own mortality; that always helps me to live a bit deeper and take a few risks that I would not have otherwise, but no risk/no gain either.

You are bright,beautiful, and loving,this will be your decade...

xo g

Perfect Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was a very busy but lovely beginning to our Halloween Festivities.  My husband and I went to a Farmers' Market that was featuring ...