Monday, August 17, 2009

The Past Needs to Stay Where It Belongs

I am sorry, dear past betrayals, but you need to go and leave me now in the present. Stop coming in the middle of the night, reminding me of past failures and grievances. Stop reminding me of sleepless nights and countless tears. Stop laughing at the wasted time I have spent blaming myself for the transgressions of others. I accept my part, but I refuse to accept any more than that. My life is what it is due to your sorrow, and for that I am thankful. I never thought I would ever be thankful for self-doubt and fear, but I overcame it and discovered the strength I had buried inside. I, for one moment in my life, needed to be validated by you, but that came to an end a long time ago. I am comfortable in my own self of flaws, and I am comfortable in my silent moments of truth. So, please understand, you were never wanted, and you are trying to overstay your welcome. Memories may sometimes swirl again in the middle of the night, but I have ceased to believe in your power.

Goodbye to you.

2 comments:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Good for you! I've always known you were a strong person. :-)

Hyphen Beth said...

Bravo!!

Perfect Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was a very busy but lovely beginning to our Halloween Festivities.  My husband and I went to a Farmers' Market that was featuring ...