Monday, August 10, 2009

Think of us Wednesday

That is the day Thing One begins middle school, and she and I both are dreading it 110%. She is nervous because she doesn't know what to expect, and I am nervous because I do. I just want to pick her up and hold her close. I want to protect her from mean girls, 8th grade boys, and every insecurity a girl can experience. Yeah, I know that isn't possible, but a mother can hope and pray.


I am also frightened by the future. She and I are close and joined at the hip, and for the moment, she thinks I am cool. She loves me and wants to be with me. She is my baby, and I am selfish. I want to keep things as they are. I know pulling away is emotionally healthy and prepares her for the real world, but that doesn't make it easier. I can accept it and go with it, but I don't have to do cartwheels over it.

My mom understands, pats my hand and reminds me to just wait. One day my baby will be staring at 40.

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

I'll be thinking of you both! We have until the Wednesday after this to gear up for it, so if you have any tips about the first few days, send 'em my way? :-)

Perfect Crockpot Chicken Noodle Soup

Today was a very busy but lovely beginning to our Halloween Festivities.  My husband and I went to a Farmers' Market that was featuring ...